Cutting Weight

Home Forums The FightMedicine Forum Cutting Weight

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  fozzy40 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

FightMedicine
    Keymaster

What does everyone think about using calipers or refractometers do assess hydration status at weigh-ins to promote safer weight cuts?

angelkickg

Brutal weight cuts leaving little recovery time and a greater chance of injury.i believe any tools along with education on short as well as long term effects of these cuts are critical in changing the culture.

FightMedicine
    Keymaster

I agree. Education is the key to injury prevention!

This may be the next major issue to address in MMA. Hopefully it wont take the tragedies ncaa wrestling saw to make a change

fozzy40

How do you guys think weight cut restrictions should be structured?

angelkickg

This begins in the gym.fighters and trainers need to be mindful of fighting closer to natural walking around weight.though it may be difficult as opportunities present themselves to cut weight gradually and comfortably .

FightMedicine
    Keymaster

The NCAA mandates what weight classes an athlete can safely compete at. Maybe ruling that fighters can only get licensed to fight in certain weight classes is one option

angelkickg

This is definitely the most sensible approach. Maybe with the inclusion of an appeal process in the instance of an opportunity however certain jumps must not be considered.Because let’s face it a case will be made opportunities may be limited .

TylerABATC

The high schools have similar requirements nation wide in America.

The National Athletic Trainers’ Association has a position statement on this topic.

In regards to using skinfold calipers, diagnostic ultrasound is more accurate and units are getting portable and cheap enough that they’re feasible to use instead.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017489/pdf/i1062-6050-46-1-50.pdf

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by  TylerABATC. Reason: Fixed the link

fozzy40

Fightmedicine,

That’s kind of what I was getting at. I remember when I wrestled in high school that I had a pre-season weight which determined what weight classes I could compete in for the rest of that season. Is this feasible in professional MMA?

Highlight

With Johnny Hendricks being in the middle of cutting 1.5 pounds after missing weight for his title fight, what would prompt the commission doctors from stopping the weight cut, or as I’ve heard people discuss, stopping the fight from taking place?

FightMedicine
    Keymaster

One idea proposed has been to allow MMA fighters to fight at a heavier weight but pay a fine for every pound over the weight class they are fighting in. This would help satisfy the people looking to prevent too deep of a cut, but also to allow hyped fights to take place and promotions to keep their cards

fozzy40

I do not think that financial penalty is enough. If a heavy fighter pays a penalty and wins they get more fights and the opportunity to make more money i.e. John Lineker. If missing weight limited your title potential or ability to fight within that promotion I think would change behavior. It also gets sticky when there is a title on the line…can a fighter who misses weight earn/retain the title?

I wish there was a hard stance on how much weight you can cut, period. That would get rid of all of this mess. These aren’t even weight classes anymore really. It’s really a contest of who can cut weight and fight.

FightMedicine
    Keymaster

In a study by the Edmonton Athletic Commission (I believe), boxers on Showtime never fought in the weight class they weighed in at. Most fought one class above, and the rest entered the ring 2 weight classes above what they weighed in at. The HW division in MMA is even a bigger issue since the weight class is one of the widest.

Highlight

The UFC HW division has a unique problem-it’s so shallow that adding a cruiser weight class would empty the division. If they followed the 155-170-185-205 pattern to make the weight class and made a division at, say, 225/230. I’d like to know the average weight of UFC heavyweights, but look at Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos, both could easily shed the 15 or so pounds to be under that limit. The division would become a wasteland with nearly no talent in it, outside of Hunt,Bigfoot Silva,and Gabriel Gongzaga.

fozzy40

I’m not saying that fighters should fight and weigh in the same divisions at all times. It’s not realistic.

However, I do think that there should be parameters of how much people should weigh on average and cut. I can’t think of any disadvantages (from a medical perspective) IMO.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.