World-reknowned MMA Training Coach and FightMedicine contributor Kevin Kearns has trained some of Mixed Martial Arts’ most elite athletes. In this MMA training article, Coach Kearns provides us with some exercises to improve balance, an important attribute for MMA training and competition.
“Hey Coach how do improve my balance with minimal equipment?” Well one of the best ways I believe is what I call coming to the “ dark side”.
Now before you say something about “Star Wars” and MMA training, realize that this has to do with the flat side of the BOSU. This is the side you will see that says “Not Recommended to stand on.” Well I never listen 100 percent to anything such as that, especially when you are training fighters or elite athletes. I’m sure it’s “ Not recommend” to get in a ring and get punched in the face but people do it. I’m sure it’s not recommend to sprint all out without warming up but people do it.
So here are my recommendations if you have a Bosu not only to improve your balance but to also gain the same benefit as many fighters I train. I recommend you try the bubble side up first for the exercise then, if you choose, come to the “dark side.”
These drills can be performed in a circuit fashion take a break between them . Its your call. We at Burn With Kearns suggest 20 reps or 30 seconds or more for each exercise .
- Bosu Squats – stand either bubble side up or down and squat as low as you can go.
- Bosu pummeling – stand with a partner on one bosu and you on the other and work your pummels
- Bosu Lunges – step forward and land on the Bosu with your front foot as you lower your back knee to the ground.
- Bosu Push up/step ups – be in a push up position and step on hand up and then the other on top of the bubble of the bosu.
- Power Jumps – stand in front of the Bosu and spring forward onto the bosu; bubble side up to start .
- Band Smack downs Bosu style – you’ll need a resistance band for this . Stand on top of the Bosu (credit kim). Pull the bands down to the side of your thighs.
- Squat to Rows on Bosu- stand on a Bosu. Squat down and as you come up perform a row .
- Standing one legged punching on a bosu- This is a challenge on even the bubble side . Stand on foot with the bands behind you and alternate punching forward .
- Horse crawl on the Bosu – kneeling on the bosu with hands and knees on the bosu alternate your left arm out and your right leg back.
- BJJ Smearing Bosu style – lie on your belly. Now work moving clockwise and counterclockwise around the bosu trying to touch the ground as little as possible.
- Sky Dive- lie on your belly and raise your arms and legs off the bosu at the same time .
- Med ball chestpass on the bosu – find a wall or partner. Stand on the bosu and chest pass a medicine ball to the wall or partner .
- I have issues (on the Bosu) – kneel on the Bosu and pick up a med ball and smash it on the floor.
- Ski rocks – stand on the bosu in a squat position and rock the bosu from side to side .
Have fun and remember to come onto the MMA training dark side sometimes. Coach Kearns AKA Dr. Evil.