A number of years ago I was introduced to rebounding on a fitness trampoline. When I was first exposed to this from my friend and colleague Joan Anne from Beyond Fitness I was skeptical but curious. Joann brought me through and array of exercises. The first concept I noticed was when performing plyometric type work ( box jumps , explosive push ups etc) there was no impact on my joints. Jo first informed me when you bounce on fitness trampoline ( such a Jump Sport ) every cell in your body gets stronger. I thought this was crazy at first. Then she continued with that for recovery and regeneration it was equally if not more powerful.
The concepts are when you work on an apparatus such as this , you work with gravity vs against it. Traditional Plyos beat the body up because you are landing on a hard surface with no give. Basically you are smashing yourself and your body into the ground. Over time this is not the best for your joints or ultimately your spine.
On the recovery side of things it works directly with your lymphatic system which is helps rid the body of toxins. Joan anne herself had a serious staph infection in her leg years ago that would have kept her in the hospital for weeks. She ask her boyfriend to bring her fitness trampoline in the to the hospital. The docs thought she was crazy when she explain the power of bouncing when it comes to ridding the body of toxins. Three days later with medication and bouncing she left the hospital. For post exercise recovery to rid the body of lactic acid this can an enormous benefit for athletes and non athletes. I myself has using Jump Sports fitness trampoline to train the elderly. Why
Simple, balance , agility , well-being and toxin release.
Here is a quote from a research perform on this type of training. “Rebounding is a unique exercise in that you achieve a weightless state at the top of each jump then land with twice the force of gravity on each bounce. This twice-gravity bounce affects every muscle and cell of the body (credit kim). Researchers at the University of Kentucky, in conjunction with NASA, concluded that “the magnitude of the biomechanical stimuli is greater with jumping on a trampoline than with running.” No other brand can compare to JumpSport’s patent pending Stage Bounce™ technology. It provides the safest, most forgiving impact available on a Jogging/Rebounding trampoline.”
There are 31 proven benefits for this type of activity:
- strengthens the heart and other muscles in the body so that they work more efficiently.
- provides an increased G-force (gravitational load), which strengthens the musculoskeletal systems.
- protects the joints from the chronic fatigue and impact delivered by exercising on hard surfaces.
- helps manage body composition and improves muscle-to-fat ratio.
- aids lymphatic circulation by stimulating the millions of one-way valves in the lymphatic system.
- establishes a better equilibrium between the oxygen required by the tissues and the oxygen made available.
- increases capacity for breathing.
- circulates more oxygen to the tissues.
- results in better mental performance, with keener learning processes.
- tends to reduce the level to which the arterial pressures rise during exertion.
- can lessen the time during which blood pressure remains abnormal after severe activity.
- increases the functional activity of the red bone marrow in the production of red blood cells.
- decreases the volume of blood pooling in the veins of the cardiovascular system preventing chronic edema.
- improves resting metabolic rate; therefore more calories are burned for hours after exercise.
- causes muscles to perform work in circulating fluids through the body to lighten the heart’s load.
- encourages collateral circulation by increasing the capillary count in the muscles and decreasing the distance between the capillaries and the target cells.
- lowers circulating cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- lowers low-density lipoprotein (bad) in the blood and increases high-density lipoprotein (good) holding off the incidence of coronary artery disease.
- promotes tissue repair.
- for longer than 20 minutes at a moderate intensity increases the mitochondria count within the muscle cells, essential for endurance.
- adds to the alkaline reserve of the body, which may be of significance in an emergency requiring prolonged effort.
- improves coordination between the proprioceptors in the joints, the transmission of nerve impulses to and from the brain, transmission of nerve impulses and responsiveness of the muscle fibers.
- improves the brain’s responsiveness to the vestibular apparatus within the inner ear, thus improving balance.
- offers relief from neck and back pains, headaches, and other pain caused by lack of exercise.
- enhances digestion and elimination processes.
- allows for deeper and easier relaxation and sleep.
- can curtail fatigue and menstrual discomfort for women.
- minimizes the number of colds, allergies, digestive disturbances, and abdominal problems.
- tends to slow down atrophy in the aging process.
- is an effective form of exercise by which the user gains a sense of control and an improved self-image.
Rebounding is Fun!
So the next time you think about doing box jumps on a hard surface or you are feeling sluggish from sparring last night , jump on a Jump Sport Fitness Trampoline. It may be just what the doctored order. Coach Kearns AKA Dr. Evil does.
Coach Kevin Kearns has worked with over 15 UFC fighters since 2006. His Burn With Kearns MMA Fitness Trainer system is now global . visit www.burnwithkearns.com for more info.
For Professional Medical Advice in the world of MMA visit FightMedicine.net